Sunday, September 23, 2007

Can you feel the Newtmentum?

I should acknowledge that I lifted the subject line from Steven Benen of the Carpetbagger Report(A link to his blog will be at the end of this post). What the subject line relates to has me in absolute stitches. Newt Gingrich, the former Speaker of the House and Representative from Georgia, has said that if people raise $30 million dollars for him that he'll run for President. I am not sure whether to laugh or cry. He was a horrible Speaker. He shut down the government twice over playing games of chicken with President Clinton. He tried to impeach President Clinton, who had approval ratings twice that of the current president, while simultaneously having an affair of his own. I could go on but needless to say, it wouldn't make Newt look any better. What happened to the Republicans savior of the moment(Follywood Fred Thompson)? Has he been that much of a dud that they are turning to Gingrich to save the day? My advice to Newt? Go for it. Turn the Republican primary into the Keystone Kops. McCain, Rudy, Romney, Fred Thompson and Newt. If that can't get the Republicans excited, what can?


http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/